Basil Pesto Smashed Potato Salad
This isn’t the mayo and sweet relish potato salad of the past; this is a simplified weeknight potato salad. Equally impressive at a picnic, but it usually doesn’t make it past the kitchen table!
- 1 lb new potatoes or fingerlings, scrubbed
- 1/4 lb green beans, approx. 2 cups, cut in 1 inch bite-size pieces
- Medlee Basil Pesto Butter
- Toasted seeds or pine nuts, optional
- Parmesan, optional
- Add whole potatoes to a large pot of boiling salted and cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes, depending on the size. Add green beans and cook about two to four more minutes, skinnier haricot verts will cook quicker than fat green beans. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- Let potatoes and green beans cool slightly, then smash potatoes slightly with a fork. Add six medallions of Medlee Basil Pesto Butter while the potatoes are still warm and toss. Taste and add salt, pepper or more Medlee as needed.
- If desired, garnish with toasted pine nuts, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds and large shavings of Parmesan.